Saturday, May 17, 2014

For the Children of the Earth and Sky

As I sit here listening to my sweet boy play with the other kids in this kid-play-zone, I hear him say things like "I'm on my way to Mexico because I have an important appointment" and "it's lunchtime now so I am going to go catch some fish" and "I'll be Eagle Boy and you can be the princes."

His imagination is magnificent. His world is constantly filled with games and joy and make-believe adventures. I am reminded of a time long ago when I also lived almost entirely in the world of imagination, and my thoughts turn to reflect upon the question 'at what stage in our development does life get so serious?'

There is so much felicity and lightness in the world of imagination, and I have a feeling that if more of us were able to hold onto this gift for a little longer, the world would be a much more interesting and magical place, where all the endless possibilities would be easily seen, and no one would feel stuck, or powerless, or easily defeated. 

I feel blessed to have this special time where I can laugh and play in Jediah's sacred imaginary land, and I'm encouraged by this idea that there is a way we can retrieve the freedom found in the power of imagination and the creative force that accompanies it.   I look to those who walk amongst us that are intensely connected to this realm: the artists, actors, dancers, storytellers, writers, inventors, physicists, philosophers, and dreamers.  I think we can find further inspiration from them.


I'm sure we will discover that there is a lot to learn from connecting to our creativity in whatever form it shows up in, and I believe there is a strong possibility that our future survival will depend on these discoveries.

I hope that collectively we will continue to encourage and nurture this gift of imagination in our children, as well as in each other, for we are all children of the earth and sky, and we belong to one another.


Imagination is more important than knowledge. 
For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand,
Imagination points to all we might yet discover and create.
~ Albert Einstein ~ 





No comments: